Dining Tables: What to Know before you Buy
Buying a quality dining table is a big decision. There are many furniture stores in Indonesia, so do your research beforehand. Think about the style of the dining table, but also consider the size of your home and the size of the table. Below are three things you should know before you buy.
1. Tables Come in a Variety of Shapes and Sizes
Just when you thought you were ready to buy a dining table, you realize they come in different shapes and sizes. But which should you choose?
- Square – Square tables are most suitable for small homes. They have enough space for four people and are easy to move or push into a corner if you need more space. Two square tables can also be joined together to create space for more guests and put away later after they leave.
Camille Square Dining Table
- Round – These tables are versatile because they can be made small to large sizes. Unlike square tables, these cannot be pushed into a corner. Therefore, they take up more space. A round table usually has a single leg in the middle, so there are no extra legs getting in the way. This creates room for more people than a square dining table.
- Oval – This shape is best suited for large dining rooms. It can fit more people because of the large perimeter space around the table.
- Rectangular – These tables are usually much larger and can fit at least six people. They can be pushed against a wall or into a corner, but ultimately are for larger families or people who have many house guests.
2. Dining Tables have Different Finishes
After selecting what shape and size, you should also consider the finish of the table. Depending on the style of your home, these options range from flat to gloss.
- Flat or Matte – Characterized by little to no shine or glare. Easy to clean.
- Satin – Glossier than matte, but not too much. Easy to clean.
- Semi-gloss – Glossy, but not too much. The shine is noticeable and has a classy appearance. Easy to clean, but scratches and other imperfections are apparent.
- Gloss – Think of a shiny, Yamaha grand piano. Classy and elegant. Furniture with a glossy finish will stand out. Keep in mind, however, so will scratches and imperfections. You will have to take great care of tables with this style of finish.
3. Style Matters
The table will be the center of your dining room. You should choose one that you like, but also fits the style of your home. There are three main types of dining tables:
- Traditional – You have seen this type before. The details are very unique and have a formal appearance. Traditional dining tables can have almost any kind of finish, but satin and gloss are very common. These can come in any shape or size.
- Modern or Contemporary – This style has a minimalist appearance. A modern dining table has mostly straight lines that can be any shape or finish, but matte and satin are the norm. Newer models may also use glass or metal as well resulting in an industrial appearance.
- Transitional – These tables are in between traditional and contemporary. They have a traditional style but use straight lines and less ornate features.
- If you plan to use a different collection of dining chairs and tables, always check the height of the table and chairs.
- Be sure to have at least 25-30 centimeters from the seat of the chair to the top of the table.
Your dining room should be beautiful, and it starts with a quality dining table. Always consider the size, shape, finish, and style of dining table you need before buying. If you have any questions, you can contact us through WhatsApp or visit us in our furniture stores in Jakarta, Tangerang, Surabaya, Palembang, Bali, Yogyakarta, Makassar, Bandung, and Pekanbaru.
If you like this article, you could read an article about dining room here>